Joni Mitchell: River
Comedian Arthur Smith's farewell choices are an emotional rollercoaster - humour, irony, sadness and yearning.
River: Joni Mitchell
I wish I had a river I could float away on...we all feel like that sometimes.
Five Years Time: Noah And The Whale
A charming naievete infuses this song. It encapsulates the joy of being young. (How would you know? - ed).
Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear:
"Who needs money/When you're funny?" Such energy - a song that cannot but make you smile.
Take This Waltz: Leonard Cohen
Brandy and death. This song is all he offers - an elegant and sombre waltz.
Coney Island: Van Morrison
Van Morrison describes the perfect childhood day. I love the wistful but abrupt tailing off at the end.
- Al Green: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
- Boston: More Than A Feeling
- Barbra Streisand: I'd Rather Be Blue Over You
- The Kinks: Death Of A Clown
- John Lennon: Imagine
- Anne Murray: Snowbird
- The Beatles: She's Leaving Home
- Joni Mitchell: Blue
- Tom Waits: Dirt In The Ground
- Rolling Stones: Waiting On A Friend
- Bobby Womack: California Dreamin'
- Miles Davis: Autumn Leaves
- Aretha Franklin: The Weight
- Joan Baez: Blowin' In The Wind