Advice on choosing hymns for funerals.
Choose the hymns you want
If you want to be in control of your own funeral, choose the hymns you want played.
Things to take into account when choosing funeral hymns:
- Do the words communicate the right sentiments?
- Will there be a choir present or an organist or pianist?
- Do you want to play a recording that people can join in with?
- Do you want to hire a live musical ensemble?
- Do you want to involve musical members of your family or close friends to play/sing the hymns you chose?
Below are some of the most popular funeral hymns.
Abide with me
And did those feet in ancient time? (Jerusalem)
Be thou my vision
Dear Lord and Father of mankind
Guide me, O thou great Jehovah
He who would valiant be
In Heavenly love abiding
Immortal, invisible, God only wise
Make me a channel of your peace
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
Now thank we all our God
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
(How great thou art)
Oh God our help in ages past
Praise, my soul, the King of heaven
The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended
The king of love my shepherd is
The Lord’s my shepherd, I’ll not want (Crimond)
The old rugged cross
Thine be the glory, risen, conquering Son
When I survey the wondrous cross