Christian funerals...coming soon
The Christian Churches have formed a funeral group comprising most of the Christian denominations. It has recently launched a website which promises to give a great deal of useful information, although many of its pages are still to be completed.
Its aims are:
- to offer supportive advice and guidance to people organising a Christian funeral, recognising that those called to do this do so at a time of sorrow and grief;
- to promote good practice among ministers leading funeral services - whether in church, at a cemetery or at the crematorium;
- to reflect on theological issues concerning death and dying, and to affirm the Christian hope of life in Christ;
- to maintain close links with the main organisations concerned with funeral provision and bereavement counselling;
- to represent the Churches at national level in joint discussions with public and private organisations on a variety of matters relating to ministry at funerals;
- to suggest resources for further study to those who may have a personal or academic interest in funerals.
The site lists almost 50 suitable hymns, and also prayers and bible readings.